background

Saturday, December 4, 2010

Bullies - Watch Out!!!

Oh no! Bullies better not mess with Courtney now! She went to a Bully Self Defense class today! It was fun for them. I even helped out since I am in the Red Tiger Karate program too. They learned some Judo (sp?) moves to do when a bully approaches, pushes, pulls, or kneels on top of them. This was very interesting! These are even moves an adult could use in a self defense mode when needed. I would highly recommend anyone (old or young) take some type of karate/self defense. I am loving this and I really am learning alot! (Great exercise too.) Anyways, here is what Courtney did today.

Sitting Karate Style getting instructions: (actually, not really sitting correctly- her hands should be on her knees.) Here, Courtney is being the "bully." But if a bully is pushing or pulling you - you should actually use the momentum of his/her body to take them to the ground. Don't try to stop them, but keep going in the direction they are going and it throws them off balance. Kylee is going to take Courtney to the ground by turning in a spiral in her spot and bowing down.

Here, Kylee is the bully kneeling on top of Courtney. Courtney will grab the bully's right arm, lift her feet to her bottom, and then raiser her hips to get the bully to the ground and then Courtney will be able to get on top of the bully and call for help.




Prior to the class beginning, the students had a demonstration from the instructor. He flipped over three adults side by side and three small children stacked on top of the adults. That was pretty cool! The kids loved all the falling to the ground and getting to take other down to the ground because that is not what we do in our American Karate classes. We learn lots of techniques and sparring. Sparring is a pretend fight. The kids try to kick (above the belt) and punch their opponent to earn points in a tournament. Anyways, here is the demo by the instructor.


In my class, I didn't jump over anyone, but I had to practice falling correctly. Let me tell you - IT'S harder than it looks! I am sore. I landed on my head, my back and everywhere but where I was suppose to. So glad there were not any pictures. I also learned how to fight back if someone comes up from behind. I hope this NEVER happens, but these are good skills to know. I am pretty sure I will be sore for the next few days.

No comments:

Post a Comment